Saturday, November 22, 2008

Purpose in the Midst of Storm

The new and correct mentality these days is "What is my purpose?" This is a good question to ask because when we leave this earth whether you believe in Jesus or not it is a question that will be required of you. "Did you do the will of God for your life?" One might ask, how do I know His will? First of all, read His Word. Join His church. Look at some of my previous posts to determine what is a good church to join but you must believe that Jesus died on the cross and rose three days later and that His blood covers our sins.

Join a church because the Word states that God will do nothing in the earth unless He reveals it to His prophets. A lot of times we miss out on things because we are not properly aligned. We are not under spiritual authority or leadership. This doesn't mean that a pastor is telling you when to go to bed and when to get up or when to go to work and when to stay home. It simply means that you have accepted God's rule for your life and that you understand that God's prophets, pastors and preachers, evangelists and apostles are His representatives here on earth. And that those who are of a truth are hearing from God and walking in integrity and will not lead you astray. If they do, make no mistake about it, they will be held and are being held accountable.

So take comfort in knowing that God has your back. When you join a church and if it is where God has ordained for you to be, He will confirm it. If He doesn't, just ask for a confirmation and if blessings and good tidings start flowing to you, rest assured that you are in the right place at the right time.

Proverbs 20: 18 says that "Every purpose is established by counsel: and with good advice make war." Isaiah 14:27 says "For the Lord of hosts hath purposed, who shall disannul it? and His hand is stretched out, and who shall turn it back?"

Pastor T.D. Jakes said it best in one of his sermons "If you think you can stop God's will, you are tripping." That is so true. The enemy may think that he can slow things down but he can't stop God's will for your life especially if you want God's will for your life. Family members, friends, a spouse, church folks, co-workers and others can not stop the will of God for your life. God is a purposeful God.

Psalm 23:5 says "Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over."

God wants us all to be anointed and when you come out of darkness into the marvelous light you will be anointed. The Word of God says no good thing will He withhold from them who walk upright.

God will reveal Himself to you. I know that He speaks to men and women verbally and through the Holy Ghost. I remember when I received the call to teach things were happening and I just knew that something was going on. After a few flat tires, some of which upon inspection weren't flat, I decided to seek out my Pastor at the time and I told him that something is going on.

At the time, he said that I was probably getting the call, like to preach. That of course scared the daylights out of me since I was a televison news reporter and overnight anchor and had no desire this side of glory to preach. I was thinking, I will stay in Memphis a few more years and work my way to a bigger market. That was the plan since one of my mentors was a CBS news correspondent and another was an anchor in Dallas and she eventually became a co-host of the CBS Early Show. Yeah, I'm going places was my thought and I have been planning this since 9th grade.

Anyway, he told me to go home read these scriptures and I don't remember which ones he gave me. They were in the New Testament in one of the Gospels. He told me to fast and don't watch TV tonight or talk on the phone and God will speak. Well, I did as he said and I was expecting to hear from God because the man of God told me that God would speak.

Sometime that night or early morning I was awaken but I didn't open my eyes and God called my name twice. The second time I was attentive with my eyes closed and He told me to "teach the children." He showed me pictures of children. Each child had their own scene and they were in living, moving color and they were of different nationalities. And after he spoke that was it. I went back to sleep.

You might ask, how do you know it was God. The Bible says my sheep know my voice. The next day, somone who I had worked for in college called me and asked me to be on the board of their after-school program. I eventually ran a summer camp for SMART and then I was President of the board. Eventually, I left television when my contract ended but before it ended, I couldn't really get any peace and everytime I went live from the studio or in the newsroom there was pressure on my head and it would cause me to sort of frown. I remember the General Manager coming downstairs and just trying to get me to smile but I couldn't. I was also dreading going up in the helicopter for live shots or traveling out of town because I would get motion sickness.

Years later, a viewer responded that she saw the pressure that was under. And the pressure wasn't from co-workers. Channel 5 was a great place to work but that purpose in my life had ended. I was also under pressure to finish a book that I was working on. I was able to complete the book after leaving Channel 5. That book is "Glory...the Hair." I think that I was under so much spiritual pressure that God had to send me to a bigger more established church like Temple of Deliverance in Memphis, Tennessee. I have been sleeping peacefully since 1999. I am not awaken by the enemy or anything like that. I think all of the prayers and anointing that Bishop Patterson established will last for generations to come. Now, I have a new Pastor who is also anointed and keeping the devil where he belongs which is under our feet. The Bible says upon this rock, I will build my church and the gates of hell shall not prevail.

The Word of God says in Job 33:14-18 "For God speaketh once, yea twice, yet man perceiveth it not. In a dream, in a vision of the night, when deep sleep falleth upon men, in slumberings upon the bed; Then he openeth the ears of men, and sealeth their instruction, That he may withdraw man from his purpose, and hide pride from man. He keepeth back his soul from the pit, and his life from perishing by the sword."

Many times people come near death before understanding the will of God for their lives. If you have a spouse, relative or child who thinks that they have a call on their lives, don't be a hindrance. At times God did wink, but now He is calling every man to repentance.

I remember my grandmother who raised me saying that my grandfather had received the call and she wouldn't let him preach. I don't know how she was able to do that but I do know that I never met him because he died before I was born I believe.

If you don't do the will of God for your life, there is no guarantee that you will still be on earth. It is disobedience at the highest level. I don't care how people try to fight you and make you think that God doesn't have anything significant for you do to or you are just trying to be seen and show out. You do everything that you can do to do the will of God for your life and God will take care of the rest.

Since I know that God has called me to teach, I am not quick to seek a job in any other area. Sometimes, I feel that I am being led into law but God hasn't said anything specifically to me about it. I know that I do watch a lot of Law and Order, CSI and NCIS. I may just need a working knowledge of the law for what I have to do in the future. I plan to stay in the area of my calling until I receive further instructions and right now that is teaching students and writing Christian novels.

No comments: